New hydro line not certain: Minister
Submitted by OCAA on Thu, 05/03/2007 - 23:30.
Toronto residents can avoid the need for a third major electricity transmission line through the city by boosting conservation, Energy Minister Dwight Duncan said yesterday.
The comment came amid concerns from some east-end residents about a possible transmission line disrupting neighbourhoods.
"My hope is that there doesn't have to be another line," Duncan said.
"You can offset that potential future need by conservation and energy efficiency. This is so far into the future that the people of Toronto have a good opportunity to really move forward on conservation and energy efficiency."
The minister accused New Democrat MPP Peter Tabuns (Toronto-Danforth) of "fear-mongering" for holding a public meeting recently, raising alarm bells about the possibility of a line being built along Pape Ave. in the east end.
"There's no plan to put anything down Pape Ave.", Duncan said.
The issue was sparked by a report from the Ontario Power Authority (OPA) saying Toronto will need a new transmission line to meet increasing demand for power by 2016.
The OPA has listed the options as a line coming into the city from the west, from the northeast, or under the lake into downtown.
But no other routes have been ruled out, Tabuns said, meaning residents must be vigilant about the possibility for disruptions.
Authority spokesman Tim Taylor said more detail could come in the authority's submission this summer to the Ontario Energy Board on the province's long-term electricity supply plan.
If a new power line does come through the city, Duncan said it would have to survive a series of public consultations, an environmental assessment and other approvals.
Any such moves are unlikely until well after the Oct. 10 provincial election, he added.